In this hot weather what is tastier or healthier than a Greek salad with our Oleum Extra Virgin Olive Oil and our divine balsamic vinegar. They compliment each other perfectly and two essential elements to the perfect Greek salad.
Our Oleum Extra Virgin Olive Oil has more than 23 Global taste awards and we are sourcing it directly from the producer, in Messara, Crete. For those olive oil experts you will know than two essential elements of a premium quality olive oil is 1: for the extra virgin olive oil to be cold pressed a 2: a low acidity level. Both of which our extra virgin olive oil has.
It has a light fruity taste and is light green/golden in colour. The true testament to the quality of our olive oil is that once a customer has bought it they return to us to buy it time and time again. We supply our olive oil in a 500ml bottle, 3 litre tin or even 5 litre tin. The tins offer better value than the bottles. As the tins are bulkier a good option is to fill up a glass bottle with your olive oil and then top it up from the tin as you need. The tin has a cap that seals the olive oil when you are storing it. As with all olive oil you should keep it away from direct sunlight.
We started our journey with our olive oil been stocked in only Cavistons Food Emporium in Sandycove and through our online store and now it is available is more than 20 stores nationwide both in Supervaly stores and some of the leading artisan stores in Leinster. We are expanding the number of Supervalu stores which is very exciting for us and we are proud to say that it will be stocked amongst the high quality premium food section/stand in Supervalu stores.
We use extra virgin olive oil every day both in salads and cooking. Because of the very high burn point of our extra virgin olive oil it is perfect for cooking and once you start cooking with us you could never go back to using vegetable oil!
We have spoken before in other blogs about the benefits of extra virgin olive oil and uses of which they are many but one of the biggest nutritional benefits we think is it is full of healthy fats and so good for your heart and indeed your cholesterol. Often people get confused with the amount of fats in a product and whether they are good or bad – the fats contained in extra virgin olive oil is essential to maintaining a healthy heart and body. There is no saturated fat in extra virgin olive oil which is the fat which we should all be looking to avoid.
A handy and simple recipe for the perfect Greek Salad:
- I find that cherry tomatoes offer better flavour but any type of tomatoes can be used.
- Slice the tomatoes
- Remove the skin from the cucumber and slice into small pieces
- Wash your iceberg lettuce and chop into small pieces
- Slice your onions into pieces
- Add feta cheese (wash the feta cheese before you use it) and sprinkle a good amount over the salad
- The perfect ratio of EVOO to Balsamic Vinegar is 3:1 i.e. for every 3 spoons of EVOO use 1 spoon of balsamic vinegar. If you are making a large salad you would increase the amounts but maintain the ratio.
- When you have added both ensure that you mix the salad well.
- Season with sea salt and check to see if you need to add more balsamic or EVOO.
- If you want to bullk up your salad you can always add a boiled egg or even some fish.
- Cherry tomatoes
- iceberg lettuce
- Feta cheese
- Extra Virigin Olive Oil
- balsamic vinegar